Monday, July 18, 2011

What to pack, what to leave

I remember years ago, one of those silly school games where the teacher would break us up into groups and pass out a list of items, tell us we were going to a deserted island and to rank the order of the items we would take. The reasons often became silly for some of the items. Well, right now I am at that point. Moving into a small apartment from a large house, what should I take, what should I leave. Of course my computer goes. My single conduit connecting me with the rest of the human race. How about books? Well I can take a few but already have resigned myself to the fact that the majority of my library will have to stay. Pictures? The large ones from Italy will have to stay on my walls, afterall, the originals are on my computer. Important papers will go, but tax forms for the past 100 years will have to stay. I can take one of my three printers (yes I have three printers, each serving their own purpose). File cabinet? Nope, too big, it stays. Tools all stay, except for my little electric screwdriver, better pack that. Luckily I have burned most of my CDs to mp3s and they are on the computer. Clothes? Well some stay and some go. Leaving my worn out clothes here and anything less than a few years old is going. So many other items will have to stay for now. Luckily I will have to make a few trips back in August so better to take a little now and see what I miss or what there is room for.



How do we accumulate so much junk in such a short time? Seems like we are all encouraged to hoard. I often have thought how liberating it would be to live with very little somewhere in a remote cabin, but there again I would rapidly start thinking of those things I'd be missing.

So whatever my daughter and I can get in a small car is all that goes this trip. Ought to make unpacking easy.

No comments: